by David Walker
Today was an unusual day at school. Not a bad day, just a different pace. I subbed for 5th grade again. The 5th and 6th grade teachers team teach, so the classes do alot together. Upon instruction from the 6th grade teacher, I taught Bible , did a little [enmanship, and then the rest of the day was like a field trip...part on site, part off. After Reading Buddies ( where the older kids read with the kindergarten kids) we walked to Dairy Queen for ice cream. The kids were great, the walk was short, but I was sooooooo thirsty. I think it was the Papa John's pizza I had for lunch or the salty ranch dressing. Either way , I was thirsty. I was not a bit hungry for food or ice cream. I looked on the menu board and there it was...just what I want...a cold bottled water. Don't you just hate to pay for "WATER". In conversation to the other teacher I mentioned that looked good and to myself I thought " 1.69...for water? am I that thirsty? I finished my job of making sure the kids were all seated together and went back to order. Before I reached the counter one of the 6th grade girls walked up to me with her ice cream in one hand , her drink in another, and a bottled water held snugly against her. She said " Here Mrs. Walker. I heard you were thirsty, so I bought you a water.". I awkwardly said "um, thanks Claire, but you didn't need to do that....! " No ma'am, I wanted to do that for you". I looked over her head and the other teacher was nodding her head in approval and said "Go ahead, it's ok" . I graciously thanked her again for my "free gift of water". How sweet! When she sat down Mrs. Greene said " She's like that..very giving..her mother wouldn't mind a bit..she's that way too". How refreshing ( in more ways than one)! So there it was, my water to quench my thirst, and it was FREE after all. Isn't that just like our Lord...he has "living water" to offer, and there is never a charge..we just have to receive it.Jesus invites those who know their need, those who are poor in spirit (Mt 5:3), to take the initiative and come to him and drink . Drinking refers to believing which means aligning oneself with him, trusting him, receiving him and obeying his commands.. All of this is based on who God is and what he has done for us. When we believe we open our hands to receive what his grace offers--we come and drink.
Blessings!


0 comments:
Post a Comment