CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

May 29, 2008

A Visit to Mayberry, NC



While growing up in Mount Airy, N.C., Andy Griffith never wanted to be an actor. He wanted to be a preacher instead.

Did you know there really is an Aunt Bee's Restaurant in NC? It's in Mount Airy. David and I have eaten there. Good BBQ, too. If you'll remember Andy Griffith would often taken a ride to Mount Pilot. Well, Mount Airy does have a Pilot Mountain. I've seen it.


Several of my blogging buddies, namely Bethanne, Greg and Amanda were musing over the show recently...The Andy Griffith Show. I took Bible Study once that showed episodes of the show and then show some scriptural parallels. Interesting. I always wanted to meet the Darlings..that Hillbilly singing bunch that always had a superstitious ritual up one sleeve and a song up the other. Odd little singing group they were with their own brand of quaintness.
[the Darlings are discussing the song they are going to play at Charlene's wedding]
Briscoe Darling: How 'bout "Don't Hit Your Grandma with a Great Big Stick"?
Charlene Darling: No, Paw, That one makes me cry!
Don't get my husband started on the Darlings! Everytime we mentioned a song they sand he says "Oh , Paw, that one makes me cry!"
And who couldn't love Barney?? Awkward bumbling sort of likeable guy he was.
Barney Fife: The last big buy was my mom's and dad's anniversary present.
Andy Taylor: What'd ya get 'em?
Barney Fife: A septic tank.
Andy Taylor: For their anniversary?
Barney Fife: They're awful hard to buy for. Besides, it was something they could use. They were really thrilled. It had two tons of concrete in it. All steel reinforced.
Andy Taylor: You're a fine son, Barn.
Barney Fife: I try.

Remember this scene?
Mr. Tucker of Tucker enterprises in Charlotte has car trouble while passing through Mayberry. He's very frustrated through most of the episode. One of his most frustrating moments came after being told at the filling station that he had to wait a day to get the car looked at:
"I couldn't do it, we're closed on Sunday." Wally, the mechanic
Remember the days when most things were closed on Sundays? When I was in college in Greenville the "Blue Laws" were still in effect.

Remember the scene where Aunt Bee comes to live with Opie and Andy. Opie is less than thrilled, missing the former housekeeper Rose who had left to get married. I love how the writer show Opie on his knees in prayer about the situation:

Opie's Prayer

"God Bless my Pa, my bird Dickey and my dog Gulliver and my lizard, also wherever it is he ran away to, and Barney Fife and my white mouse and Jerry, Tommy and Billy and my snake. Amen. I forgot somebody very important. God Bless Rose, even though she ran off and got married."


Morals....that was a main part of the show. They don't make them like they used to, do they?

I think of the scene where Mr. Tucker , the irritated businessman whose car was in the shop, stands on the porch of the Taylor house, angry and aggravated. As Andy and Barney sing "Church in the Wildwood" you can see his countenance change to a more peaceful look.


Andy often taught Opie about the ills of lying, stealing, and not doing your chores. He taught him the value of a dollar and the importance of going to the Lord's house each week. You never heard cursing on the show ( of course it was more "taboo" then too). Women were modest and even the meanest characters had a "soft" side to them. Andy taught Opie the importance of helping those less fortunate and the value of earning your money for the things you "wanted" and didn't need.

I've read alot about Andy Griffith and his "Faith". I like to read something that tells of his personal relationship with the Lord. He may have one. I just haven't read it. I do know that he refers to the Lord in several articles I've read about him. He was delighted to know a Bible Study was made from his shows.


"It’s about the values, a simpler time, an inner wisdom and country common sense, with all of these things rolled into one character that people relate to."

He and his wife, Cindi, whom he married in 1983, now live in Manteo ( NC Outer Banks)where they regularly attend a Methodist church, where he’s known as "just Andy."

"We are all friends here," he says. "Once in a while a tourist will come in and point me out, but most of the times I just go to church to worship. Sometimes people will ask for an autograph, and I’ll say, ‘Not here in church; this is for worship.’ I enjoy worship; I have to worship. That is why I go."




Ahhh to live in Mayberry.

I've never liked to fish so I wonder if would have fit it.

Somehow I think I would have.

2 comments:

Greg P. said...

You did a whole better than I could have done on this subject. Great job Luann.

I loved that show when I was growing up. It first came on about 1960 and I remember seeing the very first show where Aint Bee comes to live with them. The Andy Griffith Show never gets old. Good down home small town values, clean humor, Floyd the Barber, Otis, what more could you ask for. Thanks for taking me down memory lane.

About Nancy said...

I absolutely love these old shows too. They are never obsolete. They are simply good clean shows we can all learn from and relate to.

My favorite part, in the episode about Mr Tucker, is when the camera shows him asleep on the porch with the apple in his hand. He had been trying to peel the apple in one long piece, like Andy and Barney. It reminds me of the fourth commandment, Exodus 20:8, "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy..." They shut everything shut down on Sunday so everyone could have time to rest and reflect on God.

Thanks for sharing,
Nancy