CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Jun 21, 2008

Selah

Nope. Not talking about the musical group. Instead the actual word found in scripture.

WHAT DOES “SELAH” MEAN?

The word Selah occurs seventy-three times in the Psalms, and is found also in Hab 3:3,9,13. It is a musical term and it means to pause, or reflect. For example, in Psalm 32:5 we read:
“Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"-- and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah”
When we see “Selah” it means we should pause and reflect on these words. It’s also believed that when the word Selah appears it indicates an instrumental interlude because the Psalms are poetry often set to music.

I love music. I own three pianos, one at my home, one at my mother's and one stored in the basement of a friends home in VA. I took violin lessons for a while, but then I got married and never started taking them again. There is something about good praise and worship that soothes the soul. King David , when he needed to relax or be comforted, would call for the harps and other instruments to play for him. Maybe he just needed to pause and reflect.

I don't know about your lifestyle, but mine is a bit crazy at time. Sometimes the craziest place is at church or the christian school. We get so caught up in the things we are doing that we often don't stop to reflect on why we are doing them. ( Yes, I know, that was a whole other post I had once upon a time.)

My prayer is that I learn to stop and reflect on the goodness of God and the purpose he has for me. I want to stay on track in my Christian walk. Today Daniel and I went to Sam's Club and Food Lion for some groceries. Sean was home with daddy, not feeling too well. Daniel and I had a few conversations about Bible school which led to the subject of "asking Jesus into your heart". He's said before that he did that at school, yet when I talk to him the understanding doesn't seem to be there. I asked him what he did exactly and he couldn't really say. I know the chapel he was talking about. I was subbing that day. He's listening and his heart is yearning to know. I stopped today to reflect on my own salvation...I was five. I pray that I stay focused and tender to listen to his questions so that when he is ready , mommy isn't too busy to notice .

Selah....spend some time reflecting this week on the Lord.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Hi LuAnn,
Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet comment. I am definitely blessed. Wow, 3 blogs!? I'm impressed! I love the idea of a food blog, photo blog and one where you express your thoughts on life and faith. I've enjoyed looking around and plan to come back again...soon!

Blessings,
Tracy

P.S. I'm addicted to taking photos, so I greatly enjoyed your photo blog...your pictures from OBX as well as those with the butterflies...gorgeous!

Greg P. said...

I saw the word Selah in the Psalms a long time ago and Googled it. I was always curious why the word was there and what it meant.

It so good to hear that Daniel is so anxious to talk to Jesus. Probably won't be to long before he totally understands and will ask Jesus into his heart. What could be better than that. God bless him.

Amanda said...

I'll be praying for Daniel's heart to continue to soften and be responsive to the Lord.

BethAnne said...

Daniel may very well have asked Jesus into his heart and meant it, but he may not know how to voice that to you. Either way, the Lord will show you how to shepherd his heart and He will give you the words to say at the appropriate time. He has a good mommy who loves the Lord so there is nothing to worry about - just waiting on God'sperfect timing.